Tutoring & Learning CenterOur professional and student tutors offer assistance in English, Writing, Math, Science, and Accounting. The Tutoring & Learning Center, located on the second floor of the Academic Resource Commons, also provides a convenient setting for students to work individually or in groups. Computers are available for student use; however, printing is available only in the Academic Resource Commons. For more information, call 573-840-9638 or email us.
Drop in any time during lab hours - no appointment necessary!
Spring/Fall Semester Hours
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday - Sunday: Closed
Have you found yourself stumped on a math problem? Would you like someone to walk through your study guide as you prepare for your upcoming algebra exam? Maybe you just need a little extra problem-solving practice. Whatever your math or science concern is, the professional and student tutors in the Tutoring & Learning Center are ready to help. The center is equipped with TI-84 and standard calculators, textbooks and other math reference books, and handouts. Computers are available for online math homework. Students are helped on a first-come, first-served basis.
At a math or science tutoring session, tutors can:
- Provide a review of general concepts, formulas, or problem-solving steps
- Help students solve specific math or science problems and walk students through the applicable problem-solving steps
- Assist students who are stuck or have questions as they complete homework assignments or study for tests
- class notes
Would you like another set of eyes to look over your essay before you hand it in for a final grade? Do you have questions about citations for your research paper? Are you having difficulty grasping some grammatical concept? If so, the Tutoring & Learning Center can help. Typically, a session will last approximately 30 minutes. Online assistance is also available (see below).
A tutoring session in writing may include assistance with:
- Understanding an assignment and the instructor's directions
- Brainstorming for topics
- Creating an outline
- Focus (main idea, main point, purpose)
- Organization (arrangement, paragraphing)
- Development (supporting details, examples, logic)
- Coherence (flow, use of transitions)
- Style (sentence structure, tone, word choice)
- Title, thesis statement, introduction, conclusion
What a student should bring to a tutoring session in writing:
- Two (2) copies of the work
- The instructor's assignment sheet
- The course textbook
- A list of questions you have about the writing of the paper
- The knowledge of what your instructor has noted as weak areas in previous papers (maybe even bring previous papers to the tutoring session, too)
Online Writing Assistance
Online tutoring help is also available for students seeking feedback on their writing assignments. Three Rivers students may submit their drafts for review by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Tutoring and Learning Center does not provide online writing assistance for students of other institutions.
How to submit an assignment for online review:
- Open a new email message to be sent to the following address: email@example.com.
- In the "Subject" line of the email, type your name followed by the word "essay."
- Send your essay as an attachment, saved in Microsoft Word or PDF format. No other word processing formats can be accepted. Do not cut and paste your essay into the text section of the email.
- In the text section of the email message, include the following:
- your name
- class name and section
- instructor's name
- assignment due date
- assignment description
- specific questions about content and/or grammar issues
Students submitting papers online are expected to set up an appointment with an English tutor. Please submit your writings early enough to allow yourself time to revise and edit.
Our professional accounting tutor(s) can assist you in all levels of accounting. They will answer specific questions, assist with homework, or provide check figures to test accuracy of solutions. Drop in to get one-on-one or study group assistance in:
- Principles of Accounting I
- Principles of Accounting II
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Business Math