Our professional and student tutors offer assistance in English, Writing, Math, Science, and Accounting through virtual or in-person assistance. The Tutoring & Learning Center, located on the second floor of the Academic Resource Commons, provides a convenient setting for students to work individually or in groups.
Tutoring Lab Hours
Drop in any time during lab hours – no appointment necessary! Students are helped on a first-come, first-served basis.
Mon-Thurs: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Fri: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Mon-Thurs: 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Poplar Bluff campus, ARC Building (in person) and Virtual (through Blackboard)
Stumped on a math problem? Need help preparing for your upcoming exam? Whatever your math or science concern is, the professional and student tutors are ready to help. At a math or science tutoring session, tutors can:
- Provide a review of general concepts, formulas or problem-solving steps.
- Help students solve specific math or science problems and walk students through the applicable problem-solving steps.
- Assist students who are stuck or have questions as they complete homework assignments or study for tests.
The center is equipped with TI-84 and standard calculators, textbooks, math reference books and handouts. Computers are available for online math homework. What to bring to a math tutoring session:
- class notes
Tutors cannot help students take exams, and tutoring is not a replacement for attending class and taking notes. Tutors will go over concepts with you, guiding you toward answers, but they cannot provide answers to problems.
Need another set of eyes to look over your essay? Do you have questions about citations for your research paper? Are you having difficulty with grammar? If so, our tutors can help. A tutoring session in writing may include assistance with:
- Understanding an assignment and the instructor’s directions
- Brainstorming topics
- Creating an outline
- Focus (main idea, main point, purpose)
- Organization (arrangement, paragraphing)
- Development (supporting details, examples, logic)
- Coherence (flow, use of transitions)
- Style (sentence structure, tone, word choice)
- Title, thesis statement, introduction, conclusion
What to bring to a writing tutoring session:
- Two (2) copies of the work
- Instructor’s assignment sheet
- A list of questions you have about the writing of the paper
- Knowledge of what your instructor has noted as weak areas in previous papers (maybe even bring previous papers to the tutoring session, too)
Tutors will make every effort to help you write the best paper you are capable of, but they cannot write your paper for you. They will answer specific questions, but they will not proofread your paper for you. Students may not drop off papers for a tutor to review and then pick up later. Students should expect to sit down with a tutor and discuss the paper together.
Our professional accounting tutors can assist you in all levels of accounting, providing homework help or checking figures to test accuracy of solutions. Drop in to get one-on-one or study group assistance in:
- Principles of Accounting I
- Principles of Accounting II
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Business Math
Staff schedules vary and are listed at the TLC entrance.
The Tutoring & Learning Center provides distance tutoring for online and face-to-face courses at Three Rivers’ external locations, conducted by the same tutors who work in the TLC.
There are three Distance Tutoring options to choose from:
- For immediate assistance: Contact TLC Distance Tutoring by phone at (573) 840-9638, ext. 2, during our regular hours. Depending on your needs, we may have to schedule an appointment to meet with someone or direct you to the Tutoring & Learning Center Blackboard page. Please have your Three Rivers Student ID ready.
- For non-urgent questions: Post your question on the Discussion Board on the Tutoring & Learning Center Blackboard page. Our professional tutors will respond within 24-48 hours.
- For feedback on a paper: Submit your paper and receive feedback on the Tutoring & Learning Center Blackboard page. Be sure to include your full name, Three Rivers Student ID, the name and number of the course for which the paper is assigned, your instructor’s name, a description of the assignment, and any specific questions or concerns you would like us to address. Our professional tutors will respond within 24-48 hours.