Earn a One Year Certificate
To get started at most fire service stations, you will need to obtain Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Hazardous Materials Awareness, Hazardous Materials Operations, and Emergency Medical Technician certifications. You can get all of these through our One-Year Fire Science Certificate program, and be ready to apply for entry-level positions.
The Fire Science program at Three Rivers is a hybrid of online curriculum and hands-on training. With this program, students only need to be on campus one day a week for skills training.
- Demonstrate proficiency in firefighting skills as listed in the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Current standard 1001.
- Demonstrate knowledge necessary to respond to a given hazardous materials incident.
- Demonstrate knowledge of personal safety, accountability, fitness, and performance standards by designing, presenting, and analyzing a written Standard Operating Guideline/Standard operating procedure (SOG/SOP) for Emergency Response using current Missouri state laws and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guidelines.
- Apply knowledge of Hostile Fire Events in structure fires and recognize the conditions that lead up to them.
- Identify and demonstrate the basic components that provide the basis for Firefighting and Emergency Services Occupations.
- Explain laws, ordinances, and practices related to fire prevention, protection, suppression, mitigation, and alarm systems.
Three Rivers College Catalog
Get information about core courses, electives and concentrations in our current academic course catalog.